[spam score 2/10 -pobox] [TriLUG] Linux Support Position (OT)

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 28 19:20:45 EDT 2002

> System administration, on the other hand, can easily be learned
> in apprenticeship fashion.  While I believe a good system administrator
> will benefit from a college degree, I believe they will benefit
> more from experience (even experience administering a linux
> box at home).  Note that this does not mean I believe Sys
> Admins are any less competent than programmers, just that
> they are in different fields.
>
> Tanner

I think what you mean to say here is that Systems Administration should be
taught in a hands-on environment.  I agree with you, and with the fact that
most University settings do not do this effectively.  Many Community
College's however do quite a good job of this.

BTW: the days of a System Admin doing only Systems work is fading rapidly
(if not already gone).  SA's need extended skills in one or more of the
follow:  Programming, Database/Web Applications design, or even a degree in
Business.  In this respect, the traditional Universities are a great help.