[TriLUG] C# and .NET

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Mon Jul 1 14:50:40 EDT 2002

>What *exactly* are you doing that Java isn't fast enough for?

Java could gain a lot in performance if it had typedefs.

>Sounds like you've never even tried Java and are just blowing smoke
>around.

agreed.

>There are very few things that Java (running on a modern processor)
>can't handle.  The few exceptions are serious number crunching (eg.
>en-/de-coding audio/video, scientific software, some games, etc.).  And
>in some of those cases, you can call native (C++, Fortran) routines to
>do the heavy numerical lifting while having a nice, portable Java GUI on
>top.

In those instances I admittedly would favor a non-Java gui.  Save on
init time, improve user experience, you
could probably get portability by using gtk or something similar.

>And I'll be shocked to hear that the slightly-revamped J++ VM that *is*
>the C# VM is appreciably faster than one of the newer Sun VMs.  So where
>do you think you're going to get that big speed boost that you claim you
>require?  [Answer: clearly, you *won't*.]

agreed.

>>We'll see what turns out,
>>

>MS has various patents on C# and the CLR.  So don't be too surprised if,
>at some point in the not-too-distant future, the Mono implementation is
>either shut down or severely hampered by those patents.

disagree.  If Sam says its not an issue thats good enough for me.

>And in the mean time you're smoking crack if you think that you're going
>to solve any of your compute-intensive problems using the Mono tools.

agreed.  I hear you can do a killer "hello world" console app at this point.

Now "D" on the other hand.....  ;-)

>Ed

-Andy