[TriLUG] New PCMCIA NIC

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Tue Jul 2 14:59:11 EDT 2002

I am in the process of swapping out NICs in a laptop here at work. I have a
3Com Megahertz 10/100 Lan CardBus PCMCIA NIC that I want to install. I know
(GUI based anyway) where to go add the new hardware and set up the device
and what not, but there are a couple of things that are stumping me.

1.) When I add the new card, I get a limited list of drivers available, none
of which mach my card. I checked the RedHat HCL, which says that the drivers
for this card are available on RH install cd. Great. Where? Which package?
I've been searching Google trying to find out, but all I keep getting is
(paraphrase)" Installing [distro] Linux on [laptop model] with
[aforementioned] NIC" type hits.  I'm after the "add new NIC, make new NIC
work, make old NIC go away" scenario.

2.) I am not getting any insert or removal notifications from the PCMCIA
card slot when I insert or remove the card. Should I be? I wouldn't expect
the card to work until I resolve [1] but shouldn't I at least get
notification beeps when a card is added / removed?

Sorry to ask such an dumb question, but I'm fairly frustrated having been
reminded how much I don't know how to do in Linux. This is a <5 minute
exercise in Windows for me. Not counting the reboot anyway ;-)

TIA,
Justin

BTW - Toshiba Tecra 8000 running RHL7.2. Card being removed is Linksys
802.11b running WLAN drivers (works)