[TriLUG] New PCMCIA NIC

Brian Weaver weave at oculan.com
Tue Jul 2 16:01:04 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 15:36, Chris Knowles wrote:
> I'm going to ignore 1, as my knowledge of the GUI tools is almost
> non-existent.  The www.tldp.org network HOWTO is real handy for setting
> up networks.
>
> Re 2) get on a root, do 'tail -f /var/log/messages' without the quotes,
> and insert the NIC.  You should see some messages.  (Assuming that the
> PCMCIA services are running, which assuming your old card is working is
> true.)  But I've never seen messages get added here without a beep or a
> boop.  I'm thinking that your card isn't compatible with your laptop.
> (Some laptops require that 32 bit cardbus cards can only be inserted
> into a certain socket.)  or your pcmcia slot isn't working.

If Justin is correct, in that his 802.11b PCMCIA card works, then I
seriously doubt that the Laptop's cardbus is the issue. Have you tried
the disfunctional card in another laptop to verify that it works? I
would be surprised if the 802.11b card was not a 32-bit card. The 3COM I
don't really know about.

If you cannot verify the fact that the card works somewhere else then it
will always be suspect. If you 802.11b card works in the laptop and the
3Com card doesn't work in the SAME SLOT then you might have a bad
card.... Just a thought.

Also you might want to read the documentation on cardmgr(8) and
cardctl(8). Also, if you look in /etc/init.d/pcmcia you'll find the
location of the config file if you need to look at them.

- Weave