[TriLUG] Can open source solutions be viable companies?

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Fri Jul 5 13:38:56 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 04:16, Tom Bryan wrote:

> > I learned a lesson from a colleage that had a 2 year tech degree who was
> > the most prolific hardware designer that I've known.  His designs were
> > criticized as sucking by the more educated and experienced....I learned to
> > appreciate sucky code that works if it's an early revision.
>
> That reminds me of the whole "worse is better" thing.
>
> http://www.dreamsongs.com/WorseIsBetter.html

Instead of discussing Worse is Better, or if something "properly"
designed versus a hack job, a focus on does it work for the user is the
approach that works best.  The richest Americans would agree.  And so
does Google Director of Technology Craig Silverstein -
http://interviews.slashdot.org/interviews/02/07/03/1352239.shtml?tid=95
.

Peace.

john