[spam score 2/10 -pobox] [TriLUG] Linux Support Position (OT)

John Turner jdturner at nc.rr.com
Sat Jul 6 12:46:54 EDT 2002

I have worked many years as a SA and I happen to have a M.S. in C.S. I
can't say that I ever took a course that taught SA directly, but I know
that some schools have such today. Some of the best SAs I know have
advanced degrees. I think that schools give students (or at least they
did) the chance to learn skills by doing. One thing most companies don't
seem to follow, for good reason.

What I find more of a concern than companies wanting SAs with more
skills, are the companies that are willing to get by with a SA who has
no real background and just played with his/her machine at home. There
is a big difference between running a home Linux machine and managing 10
production servers or 50 development workstations.

As for degrees and SAs, I would say there are always exceptions, but for
the most part having a degree that requires some analytical skills would
show a company that you can solve problems that are new to you. And that
is the sign of a great SA. Most people can follow that install/setup/xxx
instructions that are provided with systems/software today. But what
happens when things don't go right? How do you start to figure out what
is causing the problem?

As a SA you have to be involved in many areas. You have to understand
the applications that are running, what requirements they have, how to
monitor their performance. I wouldn't expect for a SA to develop the DB
schema, but I would require him/her to be able to manage the DB
installation (including install, manage, and to some level tune).  If
you are running a departments mail/file/print server than I would expect
most experienced users could manage to look good in that role. However,
if you are ask to manage a production cluster of servers running a
distributed application, I would expect some background in operating
systems, computer networking, etc. would be helpful, and that is the
kind of stuff I learn at school.

John