[TriLUG] syncronizing directories

Jonathan Rippy jonathan.rippy at interpath.net
Wed Jul 10 09:44:59 EDT 2002

Have you used rsync before?  It can synchronize between servers but
also between directories.

This command will sync the /tmp/test/src directory into /tmp/test/backup

rsync --recursive /tmp/test/src /tmp/test/backup

This is the option you are looking for I believe:

    -u, --update                update only (don't overwrite newer files)

I'm not an rsync guru or anything but hopefully this will help and
fit your needs.

Andrew Perrin wrote:

> Before I go off and write a script, I'm wondering how others have solved
> this problem.
>
> I keep current projects on a USB memory key, which is faster and more
> reliable than trying to make networked mounts available wherever I'm
> working. But I'm concerned that I could lose or otherwise destroy the
> thing, so I'd like a convenient way to back it up.
>
> More to the point, though: the way I use it is I pull directories from my
> (nicely backed-up) home directory at work onto the key, then edit them
> there. The ideal solution for me would be some tool that takes each file
> from the key and copies it back to the home directory, *unless* the home
> directory's copy is newer, in which case it would copy it with some new
> name.
>
> I can write this easily enough, but if it's already written I'll pass.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

jonathan rippy