[TriLUG] Crontab no Mail

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Fri Jul 12 08:48:50 EDT 2002

Jeff Bollinger [jeff01 at email.unc.edu] wrote:
> Is there a flag or something I can change so that one of my entries in
> the Cron does NOT mail the results?  Say I have a job running every 10
> minutes that I don't want an e-mail report for.  Ideas?

No, there's no flag.  What you need to do is make sure all output from
your job is directed to /dev/null or a logfile somewhere.  cron mails
the contents of stdout and stderr after a job is complete.

So:
5 * * * * /bin/echo "blah blah" >/dev/null 2>&1

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost