[TriLUG] Honeypots attract flies

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Jul 13 21:38:26 EDT 2002

On Saturday 13 July 2002 03:26 pm, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> >Now, if you want to bring up an internal Honeypot, that is a whole
> > different game.  Who inside your company is poking their virtual
> > fingers where they ought not?  A Honeypot inside the gates, might be a
> > really good idea.
>
> So yours would be salararyinfo.haht.com? ;-)

Actually mine is Plasma.srvr.haht.com - my main file server.  I log all
"interesting" requests, including some that are allowed.  It's not really a
"Honeypot"; it's more along the lines of simple security.

Plasma emails me about failed requests or successful ones that go out to a
new IP address or at a strange time.  It was a lot easier to setup than I
thought it would be.

And of course, I log everything the interns are doing.

Jon