[TriLUG] Re: Caching DNS quickstart Was: RR DNS?

James Manning trilug at sublogic.com
Sun Jul 14 11:09:44 EDT 2002

[Tom Bryan]
> > 3.  Set it up
> >
> > in /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > add the line
> >
> > nameserver 127.0.0.1
> >
> > before any other nameserver lines in the file already.
>
> I can do this, but whenever pump configures my interface from my ISP's DHCP
> servers, /etc/resolv.conf gets blasted away.  Does anyone know how to set it
> up so that "nameserver 127.0.0.1" is the first line, and other lines are just
> appended to the file?

Excellent question.  What I've (sadly) done in the past is to just get
the contents of the resolv.conf to the state that's "right" (127.0.0.1
followed by the provider's DNS servers, RR's in this case) and then
chattr +i it so pump et al don't fsck with it :/

better answers would be appreciated, but with pump seemingly heading
out to pasture, approaches that work nicely with dhclient score bonus
points (esp. with Debian/non-RHL users :)

James
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4