[TriLUG] Honeypots attract flies

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 15 10:47:43 EDT 2002

On Monday 15 July 2002 10:13, Andrew C. Oliver reputedly wrote:
<snip>
> IANAL, but I do watch Law and Order a lot :-D, and it seems to me that
> that would fit the legal definition of
> negligence.  Furthermore, it might even be criminal negligence if they
> can prove you knew it would happen I suppose.

Does that mean it is criminally negligent to use MS?  If you go off and leave
your house doors unlocked, is it criminally negligent behavior?

The arguments +/- on Honeypots have been educational.   Honeypots seem to be
akin to police stings.  I wouldn't engage in either activity unless it were
part of my profession.  Given that perps are working across international
boundries, the current legal system is inadequate to thwart this activity
even if caught.  One day, that might change.  Piracy on the open seas is not
nearly as lucrative as it once was.  Breaking and entering on the Internet
may be similarly reduced in the future.  Somebody has to study the bad guys.
I'll bet this is how the $$$$ security folks operate (by using Honeypots).