[TriLUG] (Mac OS X) I have turned to the Dark Side

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Thu Jul 18 17:33:02 EDT 2002

On Thursday, July 18, 2002, at 04:27 PM, H. Wade Minter wrote:

> Lucky dog.  :-)

Maybe.  Maybe not.  This was either a really worthwhile risk or a
terrible mistake.  I have only had it open for 30 minutes or so now.  In
fact this is the first email composed on the new box.  The quoting looks
like HTML or something to me but this thing insists it is plain text.

On the upside, iTunes is a very handly little app (so far).  A couple of
clicks and it was set up to process MP3 ripping hands-free.  I'd hate to
say it, but this app is an example of where Linux apps are generally
really lacking.

> Ones I've found helpful:
> [snip]

Cool thanks to you and the others who responded.  This will give me lots
to do.

The main point of getting this machine was for videography work
(something I always wanted to do on the side but lacked the motivation
until recently).  I wanted something that just plain *worked* (which
leaned me towards some flavor of UNIX) and had to have good software
offerings for videography.  Unfortunately Linux is just not there yet.
Apple laptops are expensive, but on closer examination the tech specs
are actually pretty darned good and it comes out of the box ready for me
to plug in a camera and do some basic non-linear editing.  Talking with
some of the TriLUG folks and hearing their personal testimonies pushed
me over the edge.

Oh yeah for the A/V buffs out there, I have a Canon GL2 on the way.
Should be here tomorrow or saturday.