[TriLUG] RoadRunner and kmail

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 20 11:14:11 EDT 2002

William,

First of all, THANK YOU for sending the header information on these
things.  I can't tell you how often I have to remind third level techs
at RR to do the very same thing.  Without the headers of emails, it's
pretty tough to troubleshoot what's happening to them.

Now, as for your issue.  The problem is that either your MTA (sendmail,
postfix, qmail, etc) has your domain configured as
localhost.localdomain.  Thus, all mail that you send is apparently
having wscalione at localhost.localdomain in the from: header.  Therefore,
the SMTP server that you're trying to connect to for the delivery of
this message is rejecting it for having a bad sender address.  I'm
assuming that this is from your Dell address, which I read your email to
say that you do not have configured with a remote SMTP server.

Basically, I'd suggest that you set the SMTP server for the Dell account
to be smtp-server.nc.rr.com, same as for your RR account.  It will still
perform that service for you, as you are sending from on our network.  I
myself use RR's SMTP server for the Mindspring account that I've had for
4 years and refuse to give up quite yet.

One last request I have:  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check your SMTP
server that you're running (which I feel obliged to add is against RR's
AUP, but which I really don't care about) to make sure that it's not an
open relay.  We've been having problems with folks who, because they're
on an 'always on' connection, decide that they can run a mail server for
themselves.  Many of these folks leave their mail servers open to relay
from any host and any domain, and malicious spammers use these open
relays to funnel email onto our mail servers.  These messages which
often can't be delivered, and can't be bounced back because they come
from bogus addresses, clog our mail servers to no end.  It's different
from dialup mail servers because our customers are ALWAYS ON, an can be
found and hit later, or hit in a group, making it much easier to do this
to us than to, say, Earthlink or AOL.

If someone is interested, I might be able to put together a 5-10 minute
presentation on some of the other challenges faced by broadband ISPs
that are not faced by traditional dialup ISPs.  Many of you, I'm sure,
would find it interesting.

Thanks, and CLOSE THOSE OPEN RELAYS!!!

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

PS - Someone once posted a link to a site which tests your mail server
as being an open relay.  Could you repost that link?  Thanks!