[TriLUG] International Characters Summary (was Re: Application?)

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jul 25 08:28:46 EDT 2002

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Tarus Balog wrote:

> Mike Mueller said:
>
> > On Wednesday 24 July 2002 11:20, Jeff Bollinger reputedly wrote:
> >> I'm not sure what you mean, but say I wanted an upside-down
> >> exclamation point in either a password, or in a Mozilla mail message?
> >>

> This help?
>
> http://www.linuxuser.co.za/articles/000011.php3

Thanks, Tarus.

This article provided the best solution yet for typing these characters in
X.  Here's the summary: Put this command in your .Xclients or .xinitrc
file, to run everytime you start X:
	xmodmap -e "keycode 0x75 = Multi_key"
This will map the "Windows Menu Key" (to the left of the right control on
a Windows keyboard) to allow 'compose' sequences.

For example, to type an e with acute accent, you press compose-e-'
(hold down windows menu key, type e, then type the ' key): é
To type an upside-down exclamation mark, it's just compose-!-!: ¡
(hold down windows menu key and shift, type the 1 key, type the 1 key
again)
An n with ~ is compose-n-~ : ñ

This is MUCH easier than any of the other solutions I could find... thanks
Tarus!

--Jeremy