[TriLUG] quiet.

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Sun Jul 28 10:10:01 EDT 2002

Are you mad?  You think if I COULD switch to DSL that I wouldn't have
done so already?  I can
only get something called IDSL which is really ISDN which is too slow
for my needs.

I've had DSL service.  Dude, I've been bitching about both DNS and SMTP
for awhile.  And I did
thank you for the DNS alternatives (I didn't know you fixed it, I added
those others to my alternate
DNS lookups and stopped having problems).

This does NOT change the fact you all can't run an email server.

And RoadRunner's connectivity IS far better than Bellsouth DSL was (when
I lived in chapel hill).  That might change
once RoadRunner does what BellSouth did and overloads their inadequate
(bellsouth's) network.  We'll see.

However, ask anyone who mails me.   I now get about 50% of my mail
because of your strange
setup for bounces (especially in regard to mail lists) which cause your
server to get banned.  And half
the time I send mail and it gets there DAYS later.

So my roadrunner gripes in summary:

1. DNS is unreliable        -         check  (fixed)
2. SMTP server dies all the time -    improved (its not happen lately)
3. I only get half my mails           -    bzzzt  (still broken)

If you fix my car 2/3 of the way, you expect me to drive off and thank
you?  HA!

The funny thing is, I once considered upgrading to business class.  But
your residential service has been such a drag
that I can't see giving you any more money.  So I co-located my server
for cheaper.

-Andy