my flame and GNOME 2 (Was: Re: SPARC Networking Failure (Was Re: [TriLUG] Debian Bigots (was Re: Noise)))

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Mon Jul 29 11:17:56 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 10:59, Jeff Bollinger wrote:
> Thanks so much!  That worked well.  Too bad I had to wade through a
> bunch of flaming bullsh!t to get to it.  :)  As a side note, I could not
> get the Debian CDs to boot, but aliasing eth0 to hme0 worked perfectly.

Well, I guess that proves it just about as well as you can prove
anything in a flamewar: The distro turned out not to be the problem and
one of the people that actually took the time to provide a helpful
suggestion hit the nail on the head.

What'd he get for being helpful? A piping-hot bowl of bile from the
person whose initial, unhelpful response launched a thousand flames.
Hopefully Jeff's thanks makes that a little easier to bear.

To not put too fine a point on it: Davis, please stop posting until you
can be reasonable, helpful, and/or on-topic.

To be just a little on-topic (for a Linux list):
I noticed today that I can do something I've always wanted with GNOME2
and Metacity: move windows with the keyboard. I'm sure, given the
flexibility of X and other window managers, that this has been possible
all along, but I thought it was cool.

In Metacity, hitting Alt+Space will bring up the menu for the window,
giving easy access to the options to minimize, maximize, etc. Another
option is move, which when selected allows you to move that window
around the screen with the cursor keys. That's cool, especially since I
despise having to take my fingers off the keys to reach for the mouse.

Anyway, I've been using a pure GNOME2 setup for a while now (i.e. no
GNOME1 libs, although I do have GTK+ 1.x and GLIB 1.x for compatibility
so I can build a non-GNOME GAIM) and it's quite nice. It is, however,
heavier on the memory use, as my laptop now uses ~70Mb (according to
gkrellm) as opposed to the ~36Mb that it used to have with a very
stripped down GNOME 1.4 install.

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\