[TriLUG] home mail servers (was Re: OT: flame on)

Lisa Lorenzin lorenzin at 1000plus.com
Tue Jul 30 11:33:39 EDT 2002

> Interesting, I'm setting up another server soon and might try making it
> a seconday MX as well.

this may be belaboring the obvious, and if it is, i apologize, but - would
the second server be on the same network as the primary MX?  if so, it
only protects you against downtime on the primary box itself - a network
connectivity outage will still take out both of your MXes.

> The primary MX runs qmail and hosts mail for 4 or 5 domains. Does anyone
> have a good resource on setting up a secondary MX? I'm wondering wheither I
> need the mirror the configuration on the secondary box, or if I can just
> have something that blindly caches all mail delivered to the domain(s) and
> lets the primary MX deal with it when it comes back up.

the latter.  i posted a quick howto a while ago - check the archives:

http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20020318/005953.html

that should at least get you started...

						lisa

--
lisa lorenzin  |  lorenzin at 1000plus.com  |  http://www.1000plus.com/lisa/
of what avail is an open eye if the heart is blind? - solomon ibn gavirol