[TriLUG] Sound recording/editing/archiving - where to start?

William W. Ward wwward at pobox.com
Tue Jul 30 22:31:41 EDT 2002

Lisa -

If you'd like more assistance, I'd be interested to help further.  The young
lady and I have been tinkering with audio for a little bit, entirely on
Windows, but in the future we'll walk down the Linux audio path too.  One of
my big gripes with my audio hardware has been the incessant whine and pops
and clicks associated with the cheap filtering.  Its less noticeable in the
actual recorded media than in things that are amplified by the onboard
speaker amplifier, but during moments of silence, it is more noticeable than
I would appreciate.

If you're buying from scratch, I still think its a good idea to do a little
shopping in the "audio specific" market of a musicians store, but if you
already have some hardware you'd like to use, try it out and see if it meets
your needs.  Not every consumer-level sound card experiences these problems,
but you'll need to run a test for yourself.

Good luck dumping the RIAA tax.
-b-