[TriLUG] LVD and SE SCSI question

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Aug 2 00:34:57 EDT 2002

It depends on the Controller card... I think the normal reaction is that
the SCSI controller simply slows down the speed to match the slowest
device.  In this case your LVD would automatically adjust its speed down.

I've done this on a couple of boxes with no ill effects.  Basically I've
gotten in new drives that were LVD and stuck them into older boxes with
older SCSI drives (but with SCSI controllers that could handle LVD).  It's
all worked just fine.

If you are worried about it, simply move the LVD drives to their own
channel off the card and leave the others on the current channel --
assuming that your SCSI controller has multiple channels.

What kind of oddness are you seeing?  Have you tried updating the BIOS on
your Controller?