[TriLUG] OpenOffice or StarOffice for XP?

Daniel T. Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Sun Aug 11 13:04:37 EDT 2002

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Robert A. Henderson wrote:
> A fact of life is I have XP on the new box for the other users in the
> house, they are used to '98. I don't want to fork over for Office XP and
> I'm looking at OpenOffice and StarOffice as alternatives.

OpenOffice works really well, but you may encounter some anomalies.
I'd check with their bug tracking system to see if anything has been
updated.

StarOffice seemed like a pretty version of OO, so I didn't bother,
but YMMV...

> A lot of school work is done on this machine, so I really need good Word
> compatibility possibly some Excel as well.

Again, OO works well. KSpread from KOffice is pretty good, too.

---
Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc