[TriLUG] Prime number discovery?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Aug 12 10:52:24 EDT 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> However, the press releases I've seen do not contain any detailed
> information on the discovery, nor do they even mention the journal in
> which this discovery was (presumably) published.  Does anyone have any
> further information?

I did some more searching, and found a New York Times article:
	http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/08/science/08MATH.html

However, it says that the paper has "not been published yet."  Pretty bad
form in the scientific community to have a press release *before*
publishing a discovery (remember Cold Fusion?).  But, apparently some
mathematicians have confirmed the discovery, according to the NYTimes
article.

The actual paper is here:
	http://www.cse.iitk.ac.in/news/primality.html

--Jeremy