[TriLUG] Gaim applet

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Aug 12 13:26:57 EDT 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Jeff Bollinger wrote:

> I use Gaim with some regularity for Instant Messaging, but recently I
> upgraded my RPM to the newest version (0.59 I think).  My gaim-applet
> however always seems to start 0.53 when I open it.  How can I link the
> applet to the newer version?  By the way, I only see one version on my
> system, I'm not sure where the applet is pulling the old one from.

Did you perhaps install the previous version with a tarball instead of
RPM?  Try running these commands:
	rpm -qa| grep aim
(will show you all RPM packages with "aim" in the name)
	type gaim
The "type" command will show you the location of the command's binary.  If
it's in /usr/bin/, then you're using the rpm version.  If it's
/usr/local/bin, it's a tarballed version.  (Normally, /usr/local/bin takes
precedence, so you'll probably want to delete that one.)

--Jeremy