[TriLUG] Re: Frustrated MS users turn to Linux, Apple

Mike Helms Mike.Helms at martinmarietta.com
Tue Aug 13 08:13:30 EDT 2002

Greg,

A couple of thoughts.

It would be virtually impossible for me to ditch Windows completely.  Part
of my living is made on AutoCAD, and there simply isn't a competing product
that can do what I do with AutoCAD.

I have also yet to find a suitable replacement for Microsoft Office.  I know
there was a lengthy thread about this earlier - but love it or hate it, Word
and Excel are the standards of the world, and for a lot of what I do, I need
to submit reports (fairly complcated ones at that, with embedded tables and
graphics and advanced formatting).

So, for that reason, I'll probably always have a Microsoft machine on my
network.

However, it won't stop me from running a good firewall that will block it
from "phoning home".  I do, and I open up only the ports that I need for my
regular internet activity.  I believe that this is good network dilligence,
and not just something to spite Microsoft.

Having said all of that - I love the idea of moving the bulk of my day to
day work over to Linux.  Email and web browsing probably constitutes over
half of my work, and there's absolutely no reason why this can't be moved
over with minimal pain and agony.

I think the sentiment of "Microsoft free in 2003" isn't a bad one, but it
may not be realistic, given Microsoft's virtual domination in the various
computing standards of the world.  Make sure your motives are actually going
to make you more productive and effective, since political agendas rarely
get work done.

Cheers,
-- Mike Helms