[TriLUG] Newbie Hostname Configuration Question

Robby Dermody robbyd at avalonent.org
Sat Aug 17 13:45:24 EDT 2002

I've found qmail very finicky in this respect as you have.

I've tried a lot of things but as it is, I can't keep it from specifying the
FQDN for the domain which the machine's hostname is part of. (i.e. if the
hostname, in my case is naomi.allshotup.org, and I use robbyd at allshotup.org
as my email, qmail will rewrite this as robbyd at naomi.allshotup.org) ...it's
a cosmetic thing, but an annoying one at that. This is with vmailmgr and all
that, and I'll probably switch to postfix the next time I have any problems
with qmail, lol. You might want to try using some non fully qualified
hostname (i.e. in my case just naomi, not naomi.allshotup.org or what not)
then start qmail and watch your syslog and messages (the smtp daemon will
complain loudly if I remember correctly if you're off :) Qmail works fine,
for me it was just getting the thing set up in the first place with multiple
domains.

Robby