[TriLUG] LDAP Question

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Tue Aug 20 12:39:55 EDT 2002

"Ben Simpson" <ben at silextech.com> writes:
> I have installed but can't get KDirAdmin to work.  supposed to be
> what I need

Are you using a .deb of it?  If so, hit the maintainer about it.

> various webmin modules very BETA and some have not been developed
> for a while

Don't use webmin, can't help you there.

> directory administrator for Gnome.  I am running KDE and not sure
> this one will work or not.  But looks like it would work.  :)

directory-administrator will work under KDE just as long as you have
the right libs, with apt-get should do for you.  It's a very, very
nice tool.

> I would like to get all my programs to work with ldap (mail, ftp,
> samba, webserver, etc..)

Apache is a piece of cake to set up to use LDAP for auth.

Depending on what mail software you're using, it may fall out of nss
integration.  Cyrus, which I use, requires a certain amount of hoop
jumping, though that should change here soon.

ftp I just don't use on general principles any more.

samba is an interesting one---you should be able to set up a full PDC
running off of LDAP, etc., but I have no direct experience.

Mike.