[TriLUG] Network file system.

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 26 16:01:11 EDT 2002

Postfix is as close to a drop in replacement for sendmail as you get.
Under normal circumstances it does everything that Sendmail does.  The
exception is that the Postfix does a superior job of handling virtual
domains.  In fact, Tanner moved TriLUG over to Postfix to solve a problem
we had with virtual hosting.
Sendmail could have handled the problem with a recompile and the addition
of another configuration file to handle reverse mapping of email addresses,
but Postfix was a simple drop in replacement that handled the problem.

Other pluses are that Postfix doesn't run as a monolithic deamon, it
actually runs as a modularized application where each module only has the
rights necessary to handle its specific job.  The net effect is that
Postfix is much more secure than Sendmail.

Another plus for Postfix is that it can handle much more mail using much
less processor and memory than Sendmail.

Finally, Postfix also integrates with LDAP.  The install comes with an LDAP
integrations example.

Jon
===