[TriLUG] Re: gentle reminder

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 28 18:13:29 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 15:27, Roberto J Dohnert wrote:
<snip>
> The threat was worded like this " If you
> continue to preload Red Hat Linux without being a registered OEM we will
> sue you and it doesnt matter if you buy a retail version or not we will not
> offer any support for anybody who buys a computer preloaded with Red Hat
> Linux from any reseller who is not an OEM.
<snip>

IANAL, but my guess is that the dispute is about representing the distro.  RH
and SUSE and other commercial distros try to establish a brand and then
control the distribution channels as is their right.  If I had a distro and a
support organization, I would size the support based on the predicted sales
from known channels.  If I had unknown channels supplying unforseen support
load, I would be blowing my budget.

RH did lay out the conditions to be an OEM.  You also found SUSE had a
similar plan at a lesser cost.  If SUSE satisfies your needs at a lower cost
then you have done one your many jobs as an entrepreneur.

Here's the hard part of your job though.  Some of your potential customer are
going to *want* Redhat.  RH is the big dog on the block and people know RH.
I recommend that you rethink your position later on.  You may find the cost
of being a RH OEM is not so bad when your volume goes up.  Walk away for now,
but don't burn the bridge back.
--
mueller, mike

The larger purpose of the economic order, including Wall Street, is to
support the material conditions for human existence, not to undermine and
destabilize them.

-Editorial, The Nation, August 19, 2002