[TriLUG] UPS Batteries

William W. Ward wwward at pobox.com
Thu Aug 29 10:53:56 EDT 2002

Steve:

Yes, indeed you can!  I don't own a new UPS, but I have quite a few with new
batteries.

Locally, I find that Batteries Plus (Local to Raleigh, NC, US folks,)
carries common UPS batteries.  For example, most APC batteries are 12v 7.2Ah
cells which sell at Batteries Plus for $25.  Further, you must take your old
battery to Batteries Plus for recycling (or somewhere that recycles
lead-acid cells.)

You may find that the spade connectors on the battery you buy to replace the
old one are smaller in width than the connectors on the original.  This is
easy to fix by using needle-nose pliers to squeeze the UPS connectors down
on the smaller spades.  This is the only complication I've encountered so
far with the APC brand UPS replacements.

As a related aside, Batteries Plus also accepts old rechargeable batteries
of all types for recycling, including cell phone packs, laptop batteries and
individual rechargeable cells you might use in place of alkaline
disposables.

I have a feeling there are other suppliers nearby, but I'm not aware of
them.

Bill