[TriLUG] Re: OEM Policy

Roberto J Dohnert webwarrior at mac.com
Thu Aug 29 13:19:35 EDT 2002

As I stated before fellas I have no problems with their OEM policy my
problem is with the way that they handled the situation.  As previously
stated I would have paid for the service call if I was in the wrong about
it.  Thats not the problem.  The problem lays when yu have a problem with me
and if I violated your OEM policy you need to talk to me about it, not my
customer they know nothing about it.  The second part of my problem is I had
already been told that that approach was acceptable, that I could buy retail
versions and preinstall and distribute them with my PCs thats what my
problems with them are.  I dont care how much their OEM prices are.  If they
were too steep I would have gone to someone else like I did.  Also Im not
trying to become known as a Cheap Bytes like one of the other readers
suggested these were official Red Hat Retail versions from CompUSA that I
bought for 59.00 a peice.   They need to show just a little bit of
proffessional courtesy when dealing with people

> [...]
>
>   3) Create your own distro.  In fact, you can copy and use every=20
>      last *bit* of the Free and Open Source packages within Red=20
>      Hat's distribution (which is nearly *ALL* of it) so long as=20
>      you don't use Red Hat's name in your advertising or sales=20
>      documents.  Go ahead and call your new distribution "Pink=20
>      Hat Linux" and loudly proclaim "100% compatibility with=20
>      leading Linux distributions" in your advertisements.  You=20
>      could then sell your own support for your own OS.  This=20
>      is totally legal and is being done by numerou consultants=20
>      including the good folks (http://www.tummy.com) who make=20
>      and sell KRUD.
>
>   4) Become a boxed-OS reseller.  Follow whatever terms are=20
>      necessary to re-sell end-user copies of Red Hat.  At the=20
>      same time, sell computers with no OS installed. If the=20
>      consumer buys the computer and OS and loads the OS by=20
>      themselves then they are covered under Red Hat's support=20
>      terms.
>
> Roberto, #3 and #4 both sound like good approaches for companies who
> are, as you have described, trying to do it "on-the-cheap".
>
> And I'm sure there are other legal approaches to this issue.  But they
> don't include silly tactics like pre-installing end-user copies of Red
> Hat as an end-run around the OEM/support terms.  Such gimmicks belie a
> fundamental mis-understanding of the support contracts and are clearly
> unprofessional and, depending on the support contract terms, probably
> illegal.
>
> Ed
>
> ps - I'm not a lawyer.  I cannot offer legal advice.
>
> pps - I have not closely read the support or OEM terms for=20
>       Red Hat Linux.  Have you?
>

> --=20
> Edward H. Hill III, PhD=20
> Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
> Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
> Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
> Golden, CO  80401          |  Phone:  303-273-3483    Fax: 303-273-3311
>
> --=-fclgYoTZCtzDImvhxpGU

> --=-fclgYoTZCtzDImvhxpGU--
>
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 17
> From: Mike Mueller <mjm-58 at mindspring.com>
> To: trilug at trilug.org
> Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Re: gentle reminder
> Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:13:29 -0400
>
> On Wednesday 28 August 2002 15:27, Roberto J Dohnert wrote:
> <snip>
> > The threat was worded like this " If you
> > continue to preload Red Hat Linux without being a registered OEM we will
> > sue you and it doesnt matter if you buy a retail version or not we will
not
> > offer any support for anybody who buys a computer preloaded with Red Hat
> > Linux from any reseller who is not an OEM.
> <snip>
>
> IANAL, but my guess is that the dispute is about representing the distro.
RH
> and SUSE and other commercial distros try to establish a brand and then
> control the distribution channels as is their right.  If I had a distro
and a
> support organization, I would size the support based on the predicted
sales
> from known channels.  If I had unknown channels supplying unforseen
support
> load, I would be blowing my budget.
>
> RH did lay out the conditions to be an OEM.  You also found SUSE had a
> similar plan at a lesser cost.  If SUSE satisfies your needs at a lower
cost
> then you have done one your many jobs as an entrepreneur.
>
> Here's the hard part of your job though.  Some of your potential customer
are
> going to *want* Redhat.  RH is the big dog on the block and people know
RH.