[TriLUG] from: address? official capacity?

lfwelty lfwelty at redback.com
Thu Aug 29 14:21:52 EDT 2002

Hi y'all,

It appears that many on the list have adopted the attitude that
any e-mail from a business account implies that person is speaking
on behalf of their employer.

I would argue strongly that it does not.

I understand the origination of this attitude on this list
especially wrt a red hat employee voicing their opinions vs an
official red hat response...

I think its wrong to assume that an individual's 'from: ' address
indicates the capacity in which that person is speaking.
We (the Internet community) have been through this before in the
earlier days of the Internet and I strongly beleive that it had
become readily accepted that a peron's opinion is their own unless
otherwise stated that they are speaking for their company. Hence
the rarity in which you see the std 'my opinions are my own'
disclaimers in everyone's sig anymore...

F.