[TriLUG] email content filtering

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 2 17:45:15 EDT 2002

For an enthusiastic description of MailScanner and how to install it:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-5098.html

The mailscanner main page is:
  http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/

There is a writeup of how to front-end Exchange (or any other
mailserver) using Mailscanner off the main page.  It also has a link to
the mail archives.

Mailscanner is *not* a virus scanner. It is an application that lets you
use your purchased virus scanner to scan your incoming (and outgoing)
email. You will need an installed virus scanner for Mailscanner to work.
If you also want it to scan for spam, you will have to pre-install
SpamAssassin as well.

Mailscanner will work with most popular Virus scanners. Note, there is
an opensource virus scanner for Linux but you should really use a
commercial scanner.  I used McAfee's, though Sophos seems to have the
loyalest following among Mailscanner users.

Your corporation probably has a site license for its virus scanning.
That license should include a scanner for Linux.