[TriLUG] Maybe OT: PDAs

Ken Mink kmink at hotpop.com
Tue Sep 3 16:13:46 EDT 2002

I have a Palm V that I've had for 3 years now. I got it to replace my
old Palm Pro. I love the V. I bought a hard case for it and take it
everywhere. It fits nicely in my back pocket. If I had anything bigger,
it wouldn't get near the use out of it. The back pocket factor is what
keeps me with the V. I'm also a graffiti user. I don't think I've ever
actually used the virtual keyboard. It is not as fast as typing, but you
need to do that much text entry, get one of the folding keyboards or
enter the text on a full size machine and sync it over.

I agree with Chris about the V's memory. I've never even come close to
filling it up. YMMV. I also don't see the need for a color screen. I'm
not trying to use this as laptop replacement. It's an organizer. The
color screen just sucks batteries and doesn't provide much real
functionality.

I disagree with Chris about the Linux integration. I use mine with
Evolution and am very impressed with the Sync capabilities. I love being
able to add a contact in Evolution and syncing it to the palm. Plus
Evolution does a nice job with ToDo list and Calendar entries.

The larger PDAs like the iPaq are nice, but for me, the size and
simplicity of the V win out.

Ken