[TriLUG] chroot standards?

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Wed Sep 4 00:11:46 EDT 2002

I may be asking for the pedants to come out of the woodworks, but:
"Where's the "right" place to put a chroot environment?"

I'm working on some things (BIND among them) that are nice and
chroot'ed off.  I hate making stuff off the root directory, so
I made /var/chroots to be the placeholder for anything chrooted,
and then /var/chroots/$PROJECTNAME to be where individual projects
went.

/opt and /usr/local didn't seem right.  / didn't seem pretty
(/tftpboot makes me ill).  One project is using /home/itsuser
by default, which seems kinda hokey and ew.

Is there a standard/guideline in Linux?  How about in the realm
of non-penguin systems?  Or is it free for all, in a "chroot'ing
to a predictable place weakens security" way?