[TriLUG] OT: figuring out financial info for switching to Linux

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Wed Sep 4 13:42:19 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 13:26, Maria Winslow wrote:
> This is a very interesting area that I am dealing with now for customers. We
> are finding that non-technical managers, and even CIO types, have no idea of
> the options available in the open source world. They haven't really thought
> about the percentage of license fees that go to MS Office, for example, and
> their ears perk up when they see how OpenOffice looks on a well configured
> laptop. Even just moving from MS Office to OpenOfice can save a bundle.

Ah you're talking about a complete end-to-end conversion.

I've found it easier to start with a back end replacement, maintaining
the Windows desktops (at least for awhile).  Linux on the desktop is
still a little green IMHO, mostly due to shortage of apps.  Yes,
OpenOffice goes a long way towards filling the void.

> Since most places buy the MS software with the machine, you should figure out
> what the OEM cost is, and start there. You can figure about $160 for XP, $330
> for Office, and $50 for Norton Antivirus, for a total of about $540 per
> machine. And that's if you don't plan to buy other software such as Exchange
> seats ($67 per machine), Photoshop, Acrobat, etc, for which there are free or
> low cost alternatives.

Don't forget the Client Access Licenses for each M$ server that each
client will be connecting to.  This alone is a huge cost.

> Finally, a note about why this is interesting to me: I have started a new
> company to assist businesses in determining their appropriate Linux/open
> source upgrade path, and provide all the services needed to make it happen.
> We offer a no-cost initial assessment designed for non-technical (or
> semi-technical) executives to help them understand their options and look for
> ways their company can take advantage of the cost savings of Linux. Please
> pass the word if you know anyone who would benefit, or give me a call
> sometime (968-7802).

Sounds like a good plan.  Doing enough business to take on additional
consultants?  :)

--
-=[*Thunder Bear*]=-

Wedding videos $500 - http://yonderway.com/video