[TriLUG] Image scaling utility

jeffj at ro.com jeffj at ro.com
Wed Sep 4 15:10:57 EDT 2002

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 14:13, jeffj at ro.com wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for a command line utility I can't seem to find. I want a
>>program that takes a bunch of JPEG images, scales them from 720x480 to
>>640x480, and writes out another JPEG image with a specified amount of
>>compression. So far, the closest utility I can find assumes that the
>>ratio of the width in pixels to the hieght in pixels is to remain
>>constant, but that isn't what I want.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>

> Take a look at the "convert" program that's part of ImageMagick.
> I believe it will do what you want.

I haven't gotten it to scale the way I want it to. I just tried

	convert -size 720x480 -resize 640x480

as well as using scale and sample in place of resize, and I always get a
640x427 image. Is there a way to convince it to produce a 640x480 image?

Also, I'm having trouble getting convert to work on a directory full of
JPEG images. I can make it work, but the resulting JPEG images are all
in the form of <last name in sorted order>.jpg.<incremented number>.

--
Jeff Jackowski
http://ro.com/~jeffj/