[TriLUG] chroot standards?

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Wed Sep 4 17:40:54 EDT 2002

On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 12:11  AM, Greg Cox wrote:

> I'm working on some things (BIND among them) that are nice and
> chroot'ed off.  I hate making stuff off the root directory, so
> I made /var/chroots to be the placeholder for anything chrooted,
> and then /var/chroots/$PROJECTNAME to be where individual projects
> went.

NetBSD uses /var/chroot/$BLAH.  Singular, plural.... whatever.

> /opt and /usr/local didn't seem right.  / didn't seem pretty
> (/tftpboot makes me ill).  One project is using /home/itsuser
> by default, which seems kinda hokey and ew.

I don't like that either as /home may be an NFS mount used by multiple
machines.  /var is pretty likely to be a machine local mount as it holds
things like /var/run, the rpm database and logs.  When logs are
coalesced onto a single machine, it's generally through syslogd.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org