[TriLUG] OT: Mac OS X list?

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Fri Sep 6 11:58:39 EDT 2002

On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 08:50 AM, Greg Brown wrote:

> Hey All.  I've heard some grumblings on the list from people who are
> using
> Mac OS X and I'm curious if there are enough people to start a mailing
> list
> for that OS.  Trilug is where I'll always get my best Linux info and I
> don't
> want to put OS X questions out on Trilug because OS X really is not
> Linux.
>
> Anyway, if there are enough people I'm up for a OS X mailing list
> running
> from somewhere.  I've had my iBook for about a week now and I like it.
> Supurb GUI, but I've got a long way to go before I can say I've bonded
> with
> this OS.
>
> The reason I'm asking this on Trilug is I'd like to attack OS X from
> the
> point of view of a Linux user new to the Mac and OS X so the Trilug
> list
> seemed like a logical place to start.
>
> Greg

Hey Greg,

I am late coming to this discussion, but I thought I could give some
more information.  I had decided some time ago that I really wanted to
start a wireless users group and a more advanced mac users group in the
area.  We did not have the prior and the latter consisted more of a
general purpose/user group. That is not to say the existing mac users
group is bad, far from it, but it seemed to cater to a less
developer-oriented group and had membership dues. I wanted a more
developer/techie/video/3d group (yeah I know, wide range there).
Essentially, I wanted a group more like trilug, but Mac OS X based.
TriWUG <triwug.org> was the first, but then attention was turned to the
mac solution. There have been several others involved, Chris H, Mike
J., Ben Reed, etc. and the name came from Chris Hedemark a.k.a Thunder
Bear. Hardcider Hard Core Mac Users Group. The group is very loosenit
with barely a web page, an irc channel, and a mailing list that is
coming shortly. OS X is growing at a fast clip and is really a fun
piece of software. Hardcider will probably establish some sort of
meetings, but bear with us while the TriLUG sysadmin team rearranges
our services and after that is completed, the Hardcider mailing lists
will be born :)

Both Hardcider and TriWUG are still in their infancy, but they should
grow and I really want the members to help direct the path.  So, when
the mailing list is announced here, I hope you and all the others who
have responded will sign up and help get this thing going in the right
direction.

Thanks,
Bill