[TriLUG] Review: Belkin Universal UPS

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Sep 9 00:33:03 EDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-08 at 21:53, Mike Johnson wrote:

> Great, so I have a high capacity UPS with decent software, and all is
> right with the world, right?  Ehh, not so much.  All the systems I care
> about are OpenBSD.  Not such a big deal, given the Linux compatibility
> layers they have built in, but this only works if the CPU arch is the
> same.  Well, three out of the four computers are Sparcs.  Oh, and did I
> mention that Belkin software is binary only?  And that the client
> requires X and that nothing X related is installed on any of my servers?

Hi Mike,

I've written user-space drivers for a bunch of serial devices and I also
maintain a small program:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ssnooper

that can be used to help reverse-engineer many RS-232-based serial
protocols.  So if you'd like to work a little with me (since I don't
have access to an identical device), I'd be willing to take a stab at
writing a user-space driver for that UPS.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phone:  303-273-3483    Fax: 303-273-3311