[TriLUG] cool app for package developers or frequent compilers

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Sat Sep 14 21:34:44 EDT 2002

If you are someone that likes to package software up or like to build
things often from CVS, I found a spiffy little tool from one of the
samba folks that's just plain incredible.

It's called "ccache", and it acts as a wrapper for gcc, and keeps a
cache of recently compiled objects.  It bases it's cache on the
command-line options, the pre-processor output of all of the included
headers and such, the warning output of the build, and a couple of
other things, so it always errs on the side of caution, and it speeds
up compiles *immensly*.

You can grab it at http://ccache.samba.org/

I'm using it for my packaging on MacOSX, and it's helped out a LOT.  It
would also help people who package for other packaging systems (RPMs
etc) since it lets you keep all the work you've done on building, even
though RPM deletes the build root (and others do the same).