[TriLUG] Over quota script

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Sun Sep 15 22:41:53 EDT 2002

John Beimler [john at radiomind.com] wrote:

> now Jon, I thought you had learned about mktemp. :)
>
> mktemp will give you a temp file with a semi-random name, in /tmp.
> Makes securing stuff easier (and you don't need to write to root's home
> directory, and you don't have a predictable temp file for people to
> attempt to exploit.

See, I almost sent the same message.  But as I re-read my message before
I sent it, I noticed that all his stuff was in /root/tmp.  While I
strongly endorse the use of mktemp, if a regular user has write access
to root's home directory, you have bigger problems.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost