[TriLUG] more about /etc/passwd contents

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 15 23:11:10 EDT 2002

Here's a lot of information about users and groups that are statically
defined that I have not found elsewhere so far:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200108/msg00993.html

I got an interesting history lesson here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200209/msg02292.html

The shutdown user on my Mandark system is still a mystery.  I purposely
corrupted the shutdown user entry in /etc/passwd and I successfully executed
the shutdown command as a non-root user.  My RH7.3 has a shutdown user but
there is no consolehelper symb. link (/user/bin/shutdown) to /sbin/shutdown.
On the 7.3 system you must be root to run shutdown.  The shutdown user seems
to have no use.  <cagerattle>There is fair evidence that the folks at RedHat
are responsible for consolehelper and possibly for creating the static user
shutdown.</cagerattle>
--
mueller, mike