[TriLUG] FTP servers

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Mon Sep 16 22:55:51 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 20:59, Thomas C. Meggs wrote:

> I've never heard of pureFTP, but I have definitely heard of ProFTPD.
> Check out the Bugtraq archives, it has a history riddled with security
> problems, along with WU-FTPD. I believe what's being reccommended now by
> a lot of Bugtraq folks is NcFTPD. Running a service that uses plain text
> authentication is bad enough, so I would recommend at least going with
> one where your box won't get root'd without someone having to sniff the
> network. :)
>
> Regards,
> Tom

Tom,

So nice of you to just trash something without any references
and then recommend a commercial product.  You don't by any chance
own stock in NcFTP do you?  (Okay, that was a cheap shot, but
I did wonder...)

For the record, proftpd does *not* have a "history riddled with
security problems."  If you want to know about proftp's security,
feel free to search google and look here:
http://www.proftpd.org/security.html

Yes, there have been bugs found.  Any complex piece of software will
have bugs.  The proftp developers, however, have been proactive
in auditing the code and finding problems and fixing them before they
become widespread exploits.  This is no guarantee it's secure, but
it certainly goes a long way towards reassuring this particular
system administrator (not only do we run it for trilug, but I've
run it on my servers for years).  (As always, you should have a
comprehensive security policy in place to address things like
cleartext passwords.)  Running proftp will not, by itself allow
your box to be "root'd".

Tanner Lovelace
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/