[TriLUG] SSL Issues

Robert Porter robertporter at rp2c.com
Tue Sep 17 22:26:39 EDT 2002

Unfortunately I cannot install Apache from the RPM's. I am using several
custom mods that require Apache be built from the source.  Such as mod_jk to
connect to Tomcat and some custom authentication methods required by my
applications, as well as the fact that I am trying to learn to code Apache
modules themselves, all of which means I need a source version to work with.

I had the full RPM Redhat version working "out of the box" during earlier
installs, and I have one "native" Redhat system with all of the Apache mods
working.  But this system is/must be very different for the environment I am
creating.  Way back in RedHat 5.1 I had a similar environment setup but it
has been awhile.

I have paid for the up2date subscription and use it, but that caused other
issues, especially with OpenSSL.  Redhat "backpatched" versions of the SSL
libraries to fix the recent buffer overruns, this means that the versions
reported don't match anymore.  I did do a binary install of MySql via RPM's
from the ISO images with no problem.  However I am finding that some packages
installed via RPM and some installed via source tar balls seem to cause
problems, the least of which is the RPM's tend to conform to RedHat's idea of
file locations and the source tar balls adhere to more "standard" locations
if there is such a thing :'>  If you ask me RPM's are creating a Linux
version of Microsoft DLL Hell.  But that's most likely my ignorance of RPM
technology speaking.

My real issue is how to get rid of the RedHat RPM based version of OpenSSL and
replace it with a configure/make/make install version without destroying my
system.  Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob Porter