[TriLUG] openssl bug

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Wed Sep 18 09:05:41 EDT 2002

Greg Brown [gregbrown at mindspring.com] wrote:

> Looking at the release date I'd say that it's fairly impossible that
> this is going to fix any bugs discovered after August, 01, 2002.
> Correct?
>
> So my website is still down (not a big deal, really) but I would like
> to get it back up and running sometime..

I'm not sure if the replies from other folks were clear, or not, but
this worm (much like CodeRed and Nimda) is not exploiting a -new-
vulnerability.  They are exploiting an old vulnerability that was
announced in the July time frame.

First, see CERT's post on the worm:
Within that, they link to their earlier message on the actual vuln:

In the vendor response section of that second page, you see RedHat's
reponse:
http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2002-155.html

Make sure the RPMs you have installed match the recommended RPMs from
RedHat's page, and you're fine.  It's not so much that you need any new
patch to defend against this worm, you need the patch that fixes the
vulnerability that the worm exploits, for which updates were released in
late July.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost