[TriLUG] Re: openssl bug

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Wed Sep 18 11:42:50 EDT 2002

> [Benjamin Reed]
> The way I understand it, upgrade will *only* upgrade existing files.
> dist-upgrade will upgrade files and install any *new* dependencies.

oh - weird.

I always thought that upgrade kept the same version of the
distribution (potato, woody, sid, whatever) and just upgraded packages
that have been updated in that dist since last upgrade, but
dist-upgrade would actually go across distro release boundaries and
upgrade from, say, woody to sid if sid was now "stable" (optionally,
if you decided to go from stable to unstable or testing or whatever).

I should RTFM some more ... well, that and play around with Debian
more :)

James
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4