[TriLUG] Re: openssl bug

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Sep 18 15:29:41 EDT 2002

On 18 Sep 2002, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> > I always thought that upgrade kept the same version of the
> > distribution (potato, woody, sid, whatever) and just upgraded packages
> > that have been updated in that dist since last upgrade, but
> > dist-upgrade would actually go across distro release boundaries and
> > upgrade from, say, woody to sid if sid was now "stable" (optionally,
> > if you decided to go from stable to unstable or testing or whatever).
> >
> > I should RTFM some more ... well, that and play around with Debian
> > more :)
> >

> Actually, I think an upgrade like that changes when you change
> what repository you're pointing at.  Of course, someone that
> actually runs debian could probably explain it better. :-)

With apt for RPM, to upgrade from one release of Red Hat to another, I had
to change the repository information in /etc/apt/sources.list .  As posted
before, "upgrade" just upgrades existing packages that have no new
dependencies.  "dist-upgrade" will upgrade packages that have new
dependencies (installing the dependencies as well, of course).

Upgrading Red Hat via apt-get was pretty neat.  I solved the sawfish
problem I mentioned earlier -- not sure what exactly what the issue was,
but it doesn't appear to be recurring.

--Jeremy