[TriLUG] Network problem

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Thu Sep 19 10:08:49 EDT 2002

Thanks in advance for considering this one...

It seems that my NIC isn't speaking.  I can't figure out why.
It was working until yesterday.
I don't know what changed - if I did I probably wouldn't be pestering
the list  :)
I believe I have turned off ipchains and iptables.
I have verified that the Ethernet cable and switch port are both live.
I can see that eth0 reports OK during boot.
I can ifconfig eth0 up and down with normal results.
There is nothing in the RX row.
In the TX row I see a packet count and a slightly smaller overrun count.
This jives with ethereal where I can see that Im sending ARPs, ICMP's
etc, but I don't see responses.

I don't see a link light or activity lights of any kind on the NIC
Questions:
How do I check for Ethernet speed 10/100/1000 and duplex settings ?
How do I check for frame type ?
What else might be causing this ?

I'm about to run a sniffer from a cross-over cable just to verify that
the NIC is in fact NOT transmitting on the wire.

Any suggestions appreciated,
Ryan