[TriLUG] Ugh...What did I miss in my kernel?

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 20 15:33:37 EDT 2002

Hi Roy,

<AOL>Me2! Me2!</AOL>

I'd like to know too if you find out.  I've been through the same
iterations lately, but I moved up to the latest patch-it-yourself
Win4Lin kernel (using kernel.org's 2.4.19).  The biggest pain was
getting my external USB mouse to work again.

I'm 99% certain that the stock RH 7.2 kernel was able to power down my
laptop.  I haven't seen it happen since I started building them.

I have the following, which isn't working...

General Setup->Advanced Power Management BIOS Support:   y
                Ignore USER SUSPEND:                      n
                Enable PM at boot time:                   y
                Make CPU idle calls while idle:           y
                Enbable console blanking using APM:       n
                Allow interupts during APM BIOS calls:    n
                Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off: y

The last one seems wrong based on its help description.  I only changed
it when the power-down wasn't working from the prior build, where it had
been set to "n" though.

Thanks,
                                 Scott