[TriLUG] How much could a penguin make...

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Mon Sep 23 10:13:25 EDT 2002

Stephen Schaefer <stephen_schaefer27517 at yahoo.com> writes:

> [...]

I've worked as an independent consultant for the last three years,
pretty successfully the last two---the first year was pretty rough
going, but I had just moved here, didn't know people, etc.---and I
agree with everything Stephen says.

I'd also add, "document an acceptable period between their receipt of
an invoice and your receipt of payment".  I use two weeks, but a lot
of people do 30 days.  Once again, the period should be geared to what
you need, not necessarily what your customer wants.

And *DO NOT* hesitate to inquire about the status of payment, even if
it is not technically late.  A lot of people are uncomfortable asking
where their check is, but as a business person, you can't afford to be
squeamish about money.  If you've done your part properly, then they
are obliged to do theirs.

I'll also mention that if you prove yourself to be capable, that rate,
which an otherwise reasonable employer might have been a little
squirmy about at the beginning, will *never* come up again---a track
record of results will keep people coming back to you month after
month, year after year.  Especially if they have any experiences with
people who were cheaper but less capable.

Mike.