[TriLUG] Suse releases exchange server clone ($999) no client licenses

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Tue Sep 24 14:45:08 EDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 12:34:48PM -0400, John Beimler spoke thusly:
> on a side note, I am interested if anyone has looked at how Apple's iCal
> publishing/subscribing works, will it interoperate with Exchange, and
> more important for me, Evolution?

The good news - Outlook2K2 publishes to webdav just fine. So does the
beta Mozilla calendar.

Evo doesn't seem to publish outside Evo right now without the
exchange connector from Ximian ($$). It should be easy enough for
someone who knows the camel subsystem to write a connector to
read/write their iCal files.

The bad news in all of this, is that Outlook seems to be publishing
only the freebusy parts of the iCal spec, so interaction is
difficult. Nobody except O2K2 is reading or writing those bits, so at
the moment, it's kind of useless.

A note on freebusy from http://www.w3.org/2000/01/foo :

"FREEBUSY=FREE: would be better as FREE: to reduce unnecessary
complication and allow extension.

If that section of the spec (4.2.9) seems to be self-referential and
difficult to read, that is also because it is describing an unnatural
part of a clumsy syntax. You don't say "I am free or busy as follows:
12-1pm and we are talking about free here"! because RDF makes these
things first class objects and allow you to group FREE and BUSY and
REALLYBUSY as subclases of FREEBUSYTYPE life is easier."

On the whole, though, it's all do-able with webdav and the various
programs - it's just a matter of getting all the pieces finished and
talking to each other. Everyone is using the same spec, just not the
entire spec, it seems.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --